UBI strikes again...

Moooo whatever you like in here...
Snooooop
Sp.Cows

Post by Snooooop »

there will always be a way around that kind of stuff, it's just annoying as hell that you hafta do it in the first place
*|DTF|*Seti_Sniper
Master Spammer

Post by *|DTF|*Seti_Sniper »

agree 8)

i have sometimes on my work trips brought my laptop and played some single player games at the hotelroom....... I will not be able to with those "connection" games

so i assume it would be Windows Minesweeper from now on :(
*|DTF|* Seti_Sniper
http://www.danishtaskforce.dk
!! The more U know, The more U doubt !!
Snooooop
Sp.Cows

Post by Snooooop »

exactly :)
MrVeLLu

Post by MrVeLLu »

yeah believe it or not people DO play offline time to time and that can also mean not having a internet access whatsoever. Imagine somewhere in the near future when crap like this is a "standard" in gaming industry and your ISP cuts your cable - then what do you do, play solitaire? paint? talk to your wife? GOD NO WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS!

This only makes cracks and "illegal" copies more popular since then u will have "backup" for the day(s) u don't have internet access or other problems playing the games for example ubi servers are down (hint: raven shield)

idioooooooooooooots
Snooooop
Sp.Cows

Post by Snooooop »

yes i was merely reinforcing it
*|DTF|*Seti_Sniper
Master Spammer

i ask same Q :shock:
*|DTF|* Seti_Sniper
Snooooop
Sp.Cows

Post by Snooooop »

yea, why the hell would i wanna play single player if im required to have an internet connection to do so?
*|DTF|*Seti_Sniper
Master Spammer

well .-..... i just dont like the idea being depended by a internet connection !!
*|DTF|* Seti_Sniper
KOF
Web-Cow

Post by KOF »

True, but a crack is normally out at the same day. So what is the difference for them :)

It will all work fine if UBI has the connection all the time, don't think the players aka buyers are the problem here.
StarSoft
Web-Cow

Post by StarSoft »

So then ppl wouldnt even need a crack just a firewall to play singpleplayer :)
I understand they want a good protection, and this would work fine IF everyone had a connection at all time, and it would have worked properly.
KOF
Web-Cow

Post by KOF »

StarSoft wrote:The DRM need to be able to verify somewhere it is a legit game.
As a noob programmer I would know the solution.

- Connect to UBI server
- If No connection possible -> skip validation progress
- If connection possible -> validate game
- Disconnect from UBI server and if game is not legit -> end game

But who am I ? Just a noob wannabe programmer

Mooooo
KOF
Snooooop
Sp.Cows

Post by Snooooop »

well in my opinion, this will make piracy worse....who would wanna pay for a game that requires a internet connection just for single player.....i sure don't....what was so bad about the cd key thing? That seems to work pretty damn well
StarSoft
Web-Cow

Post by StarSoft »

They made/make it internet dependent because of the anti-piracy protection only.
The DRM need to be able to verify somewhere it is a legit game.
So basicaly piracy destroyed the standalone game in this case. But that I don't mind too much. And the way they made it dependent of the internet is not wrong even, IF it worked properly.

Well, wasn't a game I was about to buy anyway ;)
*|DTF|*Seti_Sniper
Master Spammer

well all the game-makers should stop making their games internet and server depended !!
whats wrong with a standalone game out in the forest ?
whats wrong with a mp game using dedi-server at lanparties (withou internet)
whats wrong with a dedi-sever at all ?

profit i assume
*|DTF|* Seti_Sniper
StarSoft
Web-Cow

UBI strikes again...

Post by StarSoft »

Taken from Wikipedia but showing nicely the problems with their new game Assassins Creed 2:
The Windows version is controversial for using a DRM system that requires all users remain connected to the internet while playing. In the initial retail edition, any progress made subsequent to the last checkpoint would have been lost if the internet connection were severed.
In its defence, Ubisoft stated that if the disconnection were merely temporary the game would pause instead. In addition, the company argued that there were numerous checkpoints spread throughout Assassin's Creed II.
The company was also criticized by members of the U.S. Armed Forces serving overseas, who were effectively locked out of the game while in remote locations with sporadic and expensive connections. Ubisoft have since published a patch to alter the DRM: after losing their connection to the internet, players are now able to resume the game from the correct location.
During the first week of the PC version's release, however, Ubisoft's master servers were reportedly attacked, leaving customers subsequently unable to play the game. Assassin's Creed II also drew criticism for its high price point.
Despite Ubisoft releasing the game with both DLC packs, The Battle of Forlì and Bonfire of the Vanities for "free", the game was still being charged $59.99 at retail price. This was $10 higher than usual for PC games. Furthermore the price of two DLC packs which were released on console were priced at $3.99 and $4.99 respectively. This meant that the combined price of the DLC was lower than the $10 premium that PC gamers had to pay.

The part about the US army is BS btw, it just hits everyone who doesnt have an internet connection, but probably the box has a notice on it that tels ppl they need an internet connection to play, not sure tho.

Also the problem is now that their "save-progress-servers" can't handle the traffic from (they say pirated versions, but are also the legit versions) all the games connecting to them and crashing, so noone can play the game at the moment (for almost 2 weeks). Not even if you did pay for the game.

Nice job UBI :P